Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Return to Me

Well. It's that time of year again. Time for New Year's Resolutions.

I don't usually make resolutions for New Year's. I haven't for years. I tell myself it is because I am too busy and things are for the most part as they should be. But this year is different. For one--I have examined my failure to commit to making resolutions and I think it may have more to do with my distaste for failure than anything else. I hate to let myself down. To "decide" something and then not be able to see it through. But avoiding making important (and much needed) changes is not any better. And I am not going to say that my life is a mess or anything--I am truly very blessed in countless way--but to say that things are "as they should be" in my life right now would not be totally honest either.

So what do I most hope to do in 2009?

Return to Me.

Below is a photo I took of myself back in college:



I did a self-portrait project one semester. In trying to decide how best to capture 'Me' on film I focused right away on my disposition. My attachment to having time alone to think and to read, to create and to just be by myself. I don't know how much other people think about their own 'essence,' but I have always been fiercely attached to my own mind and the freedom to think, question and wonder. I was a philosophy major in college and I minored in art. When I think seriously about when I have been most at peace in my life, it is during these years as an undergraduate student. To be sure, much of that has to do with the freedom I had then from many of life's bigger distractions--mortgage payments, running a household, etc. But what really fed me, then, was the time I took to be alone, the time I spent in philosophy class--thinking, reading, writing and questioning--and the time I spent in art classes focused on beauty and form and expression.

For my self-portrait project I wanted to capture Me, but not my details. The series of photos are all abstract and my form is more a shape or suggestion than an obvious likeness. This is back in the day of film and darkrooms. I printed the photos with very high contrast filters and through crinkled up tissue paper. This effectually blurred and interrupted the clarity and details. It was an experiment. But when I saw the results I felt they suitably portrayed how I felt in my mind. And how I felt I appeared to others. The part of me that was untouchable. My own.



While my life is rich and full of many blessings, this need to be in touch with my Self has never disappeared but has long been neglected. So my resolution for this year is to find time to revisit my Self. To better balance my work and my family life and to make time for Me a priority again. Life has gotten really crowded lately and I have had an awful time making time to just hang out with my family. And to "unplug" both literally and figuratively. I am hoping to find time to exercise, read and perhaps try meditation or yoga. I think if I can quiet my mind and escape the rat race for a bit I will be a calmer person and a better wife and mother.



What is missing most in my life is serenity. What I want for myself this year is to enjoy stillness of mind and spirit.



My resolution: A Return to Me.

*Except for the first image, which was scanned, these are somewhat sloppy photos of photos. The prints were too large to scan so forgive the mediocre quality.

11 comments:

Traci @ Tru Blu Photography said...

Eileen! I love this post. . .your creativity amazes me. So you want to return to you? Girl. . .I'm gonna stick you to that, after all I sit next to you all day and I won't let you forget your resolution this year! <3

Val McCormick Photography said...

Eileen Broderick how did you get in my head!!! I know what you are saying. You are so awesomly talented, artistic and creative! I love your resolution and hope you stick with it.

~Big Hugs~
Val

Orchard Cove Photography said...

Love these images and the thoughts behind them. I'm really working on the unplugged thing and made Jeff confiscate my Phone after dinner last night :) I joked that even though I'm addicted at least I've recognized it and am asking for help ;)

Robin Dini Photography said...

Eileen. You are so freakin' amazing. What a great concept. I totally hear you. LOVE these self portraits. It's great to look back at past work, especially from college. For me at least, it seems like it's light years away from now :)

Anonymous said...

Eileen, I love this post, and I LOVE your self-portraits! Thanks for sharing this - it's a good reminder of something I've actually been thinking about for myself as well, though I wouldn't have said it nearly as eloquently.

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

love this post!! those images are bad ace!

Studio Foto said...

OMG these images rock, wow

Erik Maziarz said...

very cool. thanks for sharing! abstract, moody, mysterious . . . love it.

Mary Marantz said...

I LOVE this post! Ugh and I feel the SAME way! I miss me. As one philosophy major to another I totally feel you on this one! This is the best resolution post I've ever read!

carla ten eyck said...

these are stunning!!! you are such an amazing photographer and friend..

and I think your resolution is great, I have to make mine too

E. Broderick Photography said...

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I have to say--I was a little worried about this post. It was more personal than I usually get on my blog and I wasn't sure how well it would translate to others either. I know I am not alone in feeling "lost" in life's busy-ness but it is nice to hear from friends that it is so.

 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ebroderickphotography.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.