Sunday, April 13, 2008

Rediscovery Workshop, Part One

I had the pleasure of attending an amazing photography worksop last week hosted by the super talented Carla Ten Eyck and Steve Depino. What a day! Carla and Steve invited us all to re-examine why we got into photography in the first place. What is it about photography that first captured us? What can we do to feel inspired again?

They also pushed each of us to think about how we would like to learn and grow technically. We were encouraged to shoot in a way that was new to us--to use a lens we don't often use, to try an angle or a perspective we never shoot from. This was a great exercise. I grabbed my 85mm lens that I have only owned for a short time and have only used on a couple of occasions. I knew I liked this lens for close-up, intimate portrait shots, but I made myself use it almost exclusively that day--even when we shot our model couple, Justin and Mary Marantz. I have to admit--it frustrated me at times because I kept wanting to "go wide" and fall back on my usual lens, but I knew this was a perfect opportunity to play and to experiment.
This workshop was awesome. I feel like it absolutely inspired me and I just loved having an opportunity to work with and learn from the many other talented photographers who attended.

I must also give a shout out to my favorite hairdresser, Kerry, from Cahoots Salon in Avon. She did a superb job on our models' hair and make-up. Wait till you see these ladies! The models were such naturals--none of them are "real-life" models but they all rocked their shoots!
Here is Cara. Her expressions were perfect:


















Her sister, Jamie, was also workin' it:

Okay--so this is my first blog post EVER and it has taken me way too long! My poor 3 year old has been entertaining himself behind me for just about the whole time and we are overdue for dinner! I have plenty more to add and until I post this am not sure my pictures are going to post as nicely as I hope--size and quality--so if they don't, I may re-post them later.
Anyway--this post is To Be Continued...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eileen! I'm so excited to see you blogging. I'll definitely be one of your regular blog-stalkers. These images from the workshop are gorgeous, and I CAN'T WAIT to see more!

Jaci Clark said...

YAY!!! I've been waiting for a post from you! Congrats on getting your first one out there.
Glad you had fun at the workshop. Can't wait to hear and see more about it!
Give your little sweetie a squeeze from me for being so patient!

Cheers,
Jaci

Erik Maziarz said...

Great stuff Eileen. Hope you find time to keep up with the blog. :-) Nice to meet you at the workshop.

carla ten eyck said...

What is WRONG with me???? Ack! I just read your entire blog in one sitting!!! Great great stuff sister...!!

Hope to see you soon!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

the 85 is perfection! i love mine!

 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ebroderickphotography.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.