Friday, February 20, 2009

Finn on Gender Identity

Like most new moms I started keeping track of Finn's development in a baby book just after he was born. I jotted notes like how much he weighed, how gigantic his head was (it was!), when he first sat up on his own, his first tooth. But Finn was also an unusually verbal baby so before he was a year old I started jotting notes on a daily basis so that I would never forget all of the surprising and hilarious things he said. Of course they were just one word utterances at first but he was rambling off sentences before we knew it and I have been recording his proclamations ever since.

I came across an old sticky note today and decided it to share it. This happened on a drive to work around 6 or 7 months ago, when Finn was about 3 1/2.

I looked at his sweet face in my rearview mirror and gushed, "Finn--you are my best sweetheart."

Summoning his inner teenager he rolled his eyes and admonished, "Mom. Boys are not sweethearts."

"Oh?"

"We're buddies."



Just a mile or so down the road on that same drive he pointed out a hawk in the sky.

"Awesome!" I said.

"Mom-you can't say awesome. Boys says awesome. And cool."

"Then what do girls say?"

Finn, at a loss, "Whatever."



In March of last year we were having some work done in our kitchen. Finn abruptly announced one evening, "I have to go check on something."

I followed him as he strode purposefully into the kitchen.

Finn explained, "When we check on something, we have to roll up our sleeves, like this." He rolled up his sleeves. He proceeded to give the pipes a few good knocks.

What a man.

9 comments:

Traci @ Tru Blu Photography said...

Love it. Even though I've heard these before, they still make my laugh! What a little monkey!

Robin Dini Photography said...

i want a little boy :) he is so freakin' adorable, I can't stand it! I can't wait to meet this kid. When can I come over and play with him?

Eric Foley said...

Yeah, at that age they already know everything. You might as well give him the car keys and send him off to college. Keegan will be right there with him :)

Orchard Cove Photography said...

I remember you told me about this last summer - TOO CUTE!

Andi Walpurgis said...

TOO CUTE...these are the things I cant wait for...I love the idea of writing what he says down..thanks for the tip..hope we can meet soon..maybe at PUB...I just love your work...

Anonymous said...

I love that you're keeping track of these things! Finnisms are so cute.

Jaci Clark said...

Adorable! I think you're in trouble when he gets older. lol!

Cheers,
Jaci

Erik Maziarz said...

so funny!

Deanna Kaye Photography said...

How adorable!! I hope that when Eric and I have kids they will be as cute and funny as Finn :)

 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ebroderickphotography.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.