Monday, December 15, 2008

The Ice Jungle

So people are always asking me about where I live. We're in the northwest hills of CT where elevation makes all the difference. While most of you were getting crappy rain, we were getting this ice storm! Thursday night was a trip. Tim and I lay awake all night listening to trees fall all around our house. Scary!

This is the view from my driveway Friday morning. The funny thing--this is nothing! Parts of town looked much worse than this but it really wasn't safe for me to be out shooting for much of the weekend since trees and limbs continued to fall, along with huge chunks of ice. We did not start to thaw out until late Sunday. I wish I could have walked around on Saturday to document more of this. The sky was sunny and blue and the ice was just brilliant but I was only in town for a few minutes on my way out to an engagement shoot. Finn and I stayed at my parent's all weekend where we could enjoy heat, electricity and water. Tim "roughed it" in Hartland by himself. He likes to complain about it, but I think he kind of liked it. Playin' like he was Jeremiah Johnson or something.

We lucked out in this deal. Many of our neighbors had to literally cut their way out of their driveways,littered with fallen trees and broken limbs. And while it took days to get our power back, I have to give props to the utility workers--they were out there in their hard hats just working their way from house to house putting things back together.



















I had been meaning to try out the macro setting on one of my more neglected lenses and this just seemed like a perfect opportunity. I grabbed Tim's ring and my own and set them gingerly on this ice covered leaf.











I got a number of nice shots and was just starting to have fun when I decided to put our rings on a really cool icicle that curled down from a nearby branch. I put Tim's ring on first. The ice broke off and, in slow motion, Tim's ring fell to the ground. Never to be seen again!

I wish I was kidding but I really did lose it! I know it's out there somewhere but after an hour of searching methodically in the icy leaves I still have not found it. (And let me tell you--all of those little pieces of ice that littered the ground look an awful lot like a wedding ring!)

Shoot me an email if you have a metal detector I can borrow!

10 comments:

Orchard Cove Photography said...

Oh my gosh that stinks that you lost the ring - I hope you find it!

We got walloped at the lake and the power still isn't on - we're headed up today to take stuff out of the fridge and fire up the woodstove so the pipes don't freeze....oh the joys!

Jaci Clark said...

OMG! What a storm! Those images are amazing, Eileen.

Sorry to hear about the ring. I lost a bracelet once in two feet of snow but found it again about a month later when it melted. Maybe that will happen for you too. Hope you find it!

Cheers,
Jaci

Unknown said...

Wow. Send some of that ice down here missy, i need some extra stuff to shoot and it would look amazing in some of the buildings I explore!

Great ring shots. What a nightmare, though! Sadly, I don't have a metal detector but I do volunteer to lend a set of searching eyes! Let me know. :)

Hope you're staying happy and healthy!
Brody.

Erik Maziarz said...

doh! hopefully the ring will be easier to spot once the ice melts. i guess at least it wasn't a client's ring! i always worry about that when i'm balancing rings in precarious spots.

stunning ice photos. it's very compelling the way the ice is so beautiful yet destructive at the same time.

Deanna Kaye Photography said...

Eileen, these photos are seriously amazing! I love the ones of the rings, and until I read the end of your story, I was actually thinking, "I should try something like that with mine and Eric's rings this winter..." Maybe not now :) Anyway, at least you have some fabulous photos to remember it by! ;)

Traci @ Tru Blu Photography said...

I've heard the ring story a few times now, and just reading about it still gives me anxiety. . I hope you find Tim's ring soon! That last ring shot is great,I love the way the backgound came out in that one, it looks very magical :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh - that's awful about Tim's ring! I'm sure you could rent a metal detector somewhere...

That first shot is GORGEOUS by the way. And the ring shots are so fun - I don't think I've ever seen anyone else do that!

Mary Marantz said...

omigosh!! are you kidding me?? that stinks!! I hope you find it!

in other news, the ice pictures are beautiful!!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

holy smokes!! the leaf covered in ice is INSANE!!! love.it! love.it! love.it! it's not cold there is it ;) we're crying when it gets below 70'. awesome images!

hope you have an awesome christmas holiday!

Eric Foley said...

Those ring shots are beautiful! I hope you find the missing ring when the ice melts.

 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ebroderickphotography.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.