Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Little Slice of Heaven

This time last week I was hanging out lakeside with a great bunch of folks from the CT PUG, or Pictage User Group. A bunch of photographers coming together to talk shop and just relax and have some fun.

We were hosted by the lovely and gracious Amanda Harris Herzberger of Orchard Cove Photography. Her family's lovely lakehouse:

IMG_3635-Edit

The "backyard"

IMG_3622-Edit

Amanda gets pensive by the water:

IMG_3600-Edit

Nikki Nicole from Nikki Nicole Photography chills with Strider:

IMG_3590-Edit

Strider. Seriously the best dog I've ever met! What a good boy!

IMG_3608-Edit

This next photo is the epitome of what I wish for in life. To wake up every morning and glide around the lake in a kayak...Serenity.

IMG_3653-Edit

Exhibit A:

IMG_3674-Edit

That's Mr. Justin Marantz, one half of the amazing husband and wife team of Justin Marantz Photography showing us how it's done.

This is how photographers "relax" by the water:

IMG_3685-Edit

Here's what they're shooting:

IMG_3698-Edit

That's Jo from Allegro Photography reenacting an Australian commercial.

My girl, Julia, from Salty Grapes. She lights up a room with that smile:

IMG_3666-Edit

Joy Moody shares her shot of Justin with Jacob Bergmeier of NoDo Photography:

IMG_3680-Edit

Last but not least:

IMG_3676-Edit

I thought I'd take many more pictures over the course of 2 days than I did but that's because I was so busy working on our Retreat "Assignment." On the first day we came together to do some serious thinking and soul-searching. Mary Marantz led this portion of the workshop and boy is she good at making you think!

We started off by writing the following categories on a page in our notebooks: Personal, Family, Financial, Spiritual and Business. Then we identified the things in each area of our lives that we felt were obstacles or struggles. On the next page we wrote these same categories and listed our goals for each. We followed up by writing at the top of a page "The Good Life for Me..." And then we just wrote--sort of stream of consciousness--whatever that means to us. The Good Life.

It was very moving for me. And a lot of it boils down to finding time. Feeling like I "owe" every minute of my life to someone or some task. I recognized how very important it is for me to have time to be by myself and not feel guilty or pulled in a million directions by my ever-growing "To-Do" list. And, of course, time to be with my family and forget about email and editing and washing the kitchen floor!

Then we had one more task. 101 in 1001. And while it sounds kind of cute and perky, it was damn hard to do in those 2 days! We made a list of 101 things we want to accomplish in the next 1001 days. That works out to be just over 2 1/2 years, I think. I couldn't believe how hard this was! I had to escape the group and head down to the dock to get started since I cannot concentrate around other people. There ended up being a few of us down there and every 15 minutes or so someone would break the silence to ask for ideas or share their own.

Here are a few things on my 101 List:

Have someone else photograph me with my son, Finn. I am in almost no photos with Finn since he was born! Partly because I am always the one with camera and partly because I hate myself in pictures. But I know that someday Finn will appreciate having photos of himself with his Mommy so I just have to suck it up and get it done!

Learn to play the mandolin.

Take a pottery class. (One of my oldest dreams was to live in Vermont and have an artist's studio where I would do pottery and have a darkroom. This is pre-digital, of course.)

Take Finn to the movies.

Hang a chin up bar in the basement! (Weird, I know. But I love doing pull ups. At least I used to. I am afraid I might only be able to lift myself an inch right now, but I could work myself up to a handful or more. At least I hope I could!)

Of course there are many more. We are supposed to complete and blog about at least one thing on our list by today. I did do something on my list and am going to see if I can figure how to blog this the way I want to. Stay tuned...

14 comments:

Salty Grapes said...

Ooooh! That picture of Nikki and Strider fishing is to die for!!! And that kayak one captures the experience perfectly. You are so incredibly sweet... :) And with such beautiful photos too!

nikki nicole photography said...

hey eileen!

I have on my list too to take a pottery class!

not sure where you are but in the winter I am going to sign up for a class at the weslyn potters!

cant wait to see what you have checked off!

Amanda Harris said...

Can I help you with the photographing Finn one? Let's make a date - I'd love to meet your little man!

E. Broderick Photography said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. I wish we'd had longer than 2 days!

Nikki--Are you talking Wesleyan in Middletown? Let me know. That's pretty far for me, but I'd be interested in at least learning more. There's a Pottery Studio that does lessons in Canton, too.

Amanda--you are so sweet to offer! I would love that. Thank you. We'll work it out.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're doing a 101 list! I can't wait to hear about your progress. But if I may, I'd like to add a bonus item, #102: "Take Finn to Washington, DC to teach him about our nation's history." I'll take you on my very own guided tour of the city - it involves a real DC-inspired tradition of getting turned around on the wrong street and getting lost. Guaranteed thrills!

E. Broderick Photography said...

Susan! No need to add. #92 really is visit D.C. And you know if I get there (correction: when I get there) I expect your Cuteness to show me around. We have no plans in the works, but I will be sure to let you know when it happens.

Anonymous said...

It was so great to meet you, Eileen. You captured so many amazing moments from the retreat. And I can't wait to see what you have to share from your goals.

Jaci Clark said...

OK, totally jealous! Both of the workshop and the place. Definitely looks live heaven! And when you decide to make the trek to DC, be sure to let me know. I wanna come too :)

Cheers,
Jaci

E. Broderick Photography said...

Jaci--of COURSE we would call you to come! It'll be a little Flourish reunion!

Unknown said...

I'm jealous I couldn't make it out there and pug it up with all you kind folks! What great photos from the event though! Such a great setting to kickback, relax and recenter for another long haul!

Keep up the shooting and sharing! I always love soaking in your work!
Brody - Polarity Photo

carla ten eyck said...

Dude! I was SO gonna add 'put a chin up bar n my basement' too...!

;)

I can barely hold my camera, maybe I SHOULD!

great shots, missy!

Val McCormick Photography said...

Hey where the heck was I for Jo's hair fling? I had an awesome time and trying to accomplish some goals myself. One of which was to tape my boys and get some portraits. I need to book myself for myself,lol. My b-day is Sunday, maybe I'll put a bug in hubby's ear for a new video camera. Are you missing a firewire for your camera? I know nothing about Mac's; sad I know.

Robin Dini Photography said...

great shots girlfriend! i love that shot of nikki fishing on the dock. beautiful! thanks for sharing your list. i tried to make mine while in Vermont last weekend but that shyte is hard! i got up to #52 and then I got stuck :)

Amie said...

wow, this retreat sounds amazing! I can totaly relate to wanting photos of you and your son. I finally had some done of me and my two last year and it left me wanting more. Looks like you have a lot of great colleagues to draw upon.
Lovely photos!

 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ebroderickphotography.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.